If you’re considering purchasing evergreen shrubs for your garden, consider Woodie’s approved Evergreen shrubs. They offer numerous benefits for beginning gardeners and landscape enthusiasts alike.
What Are the Types of Evergreen Shrubs
A few varieties of evergreen shrubs include:
- Nandinas: Nandina shrubs offer a myriad of colors from reds to pinks and yellows. They lend a tropical feel to even northern gardens with their bamboo like foliage. A few of our favorite varieties are Nandina Flirt and Nandina Obsession.
- Junipers: Juniper shrubs are common needled evergreens that are very easy to grow, and are commonly found lining paths and driveways. They should be considered the work horses of the landscape due to their drought tolerance and ability to grow in even the poorest of soils. Blue Chip, Gold Lace and Sargents Green are a few varieties of juniper that we offer, any of which work well as a low natural hedge or groundcover.
- Boxwoods: Boxwoods are low-maintenance shrubs that work wonderfully for hedges as well as landscape focal points. These traditional hedge plants come in several varieties, including the new ‘Baby Gem’, ‘Golden Dream’ and classic Wintergreen.
- Camellia: Camellias are intensely popular evergreen shrubs that are most easily recognized by their medium to large sized flowers that appear in either late fall to early winter or late winter into early spring depending on the variety. Camellia Kramer’s Supreme is our favorite spring bloomer while Camellia Yuletide puts on a fantastic show during the holiday season of early winter.
- Cherry laurels: Cherry laurels are beautiful, low-maintenance evergreens that produce mildly fragrant flowers in the spring. They are receptive to pruning and great choices for both naturalizing and, both the Otto Luyken laurel and the Skip laurel are wonderful additions to any landscape.
- Holly: Hollies are beautiful, easy to grow evergreens with dark green or golden leaves that provide beautiful year-round interest for your landscape. We offer the more easily recognized Christmas Jewel Holly, as well as the Brass Buckles, Compact Japanese, Steeds and Densa Inkberry varieties, each with their own unique shapes and textures.
- Euonymus: Euonymus shrubs are an easy-to-maintain choice, with shiny leaves in beautiful hues from creamy white and yellow-edged varieties to dark green. They are very forgiving and can provide plenty of “pop” to an otherwise dull winter landscape. We offer the Silver King, Manhattan, Golden, Emerald Gaiety and Emerald n’ Gold varieties, among others.
What Are the Benefits of Planting Evergreen Shrubs
On top of their appearance, evergreen shrubs are useful for their practical benefits. Evergreens help promote the health of your soil by providing ground shelter for wildlife, including beneficial soil builders like worms. They’re also relatively pest-resistant and low-maintenance, making them more desirable plants overall. This resilience also makes them the perfect choice for beginning gardeners.
How to Pick the Right Evergreen Shrubs for Your Home
Appearances are also important to consider. If you have a dark-colored home, for example, you may want to find lighter-colored shrub such as Nandina Lemon Lime to provide more contrast. If you are looking to cover up eyesores, a larger, more expansive shrub like Juniper Sargents Green might be a good choice. Choose the best option to match your visual goals as well as your functional ones.
If you’re not sure which evergreen shrub will best fit your yard and your needs, we can help! Call Garden Goods Direct to speak with one of our nursery experts, and we’ll match you with the perfect evergreen shrub for your area.
How to Care for Evergreen Shrubs
At Garden Goods Direct, Woodie’s nursery experts will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the care and maintenance of your evergreen shrubs.
Want to Buy Evergreen Shrubs? You Can Find Them at Garden Goods Direct
As America’s number one online garden center, we’re proud to offer a wide selection of evergreen shrubs for you to choose from. Whatever type of evergreen you desire, everything from hollies to boxwoods, we can deliver.
Every single plant we sell has earned Woodie’s Seal of Approval, so you can be sure of the health and quality. Talk to Woodie or one of our nursery experts today — we’re here to help you find the perfect evergreen shrub to give you your dream yard. Shop our selection of evergreen shrubs online!