Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed
Jonathan Green's Heavy Traffic Grass Seed is the perfect seed to plant in lawns where a lot of activity happens.
As Low As: $34.95
|3 LB Bag||$34.95|
|7 LB Bag||$77.95|
GreenView Grass Seed Accelerator
18 LB Bag (380 sq. ft.)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed for Sale Online
Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed contains our toughest and most durable turfgrass varieties. With an attractive, dark-green color and roots that grow up to 4-feet deep, this mix is perfect for backyards, sports fields, curb strips, or anywhere aggressive foot traffic from athletes, children, and pets occurs. This grass seed mixture excels on sports fields where uniform lawn texture is important, so soccer, football, and baseballs bounce true. Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic provides the wear tolerance and the uniform good looks that these athletic playing fields require. This seed germinates in 7-14 days.
How do I apply Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed?
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake - Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
How much area will this grass seed cover?
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,200 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 600 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,750 sq. ft.