Woodie's Top 4 Choices for Evergreen Shrubs
When it comes to selecting evergreen shrubs for landscaping projects, it is natural to become overwhelmed with the wide range of options that you have to choose from. From the lustrous foliage of cherry laurels, to the dense form of boxwoods the world of evergreen shrubs is a vast one.
Lucky for you, our horticultural expert Woodie is here to narrow down your options as he dives into his favorite evergreen shrubs! Keep reading to learn all about Woodie's favorite shrubs and the multitude of benefits they offer to a landscape.
1. Skip Cherry Laurel
When it comes to versatile and attractive shrubs for your landscape, the Skip Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis') deserves a place of honor. This evergreen plant, commonly known as Schip Laurel, is favored by gardeners for its lush foliage, ease of care, and adaptability to various garden styles. In this blog, we'll explore the benefits and uses of Skip Cherry Laurel in your landscape.
Benefits of Skip Cherry Laurel
Year-Round Privacy: One of the most significant advantages of Skip Cherry Laurel is its dense, glossy foliage, which provides excellent year-round privacy. Whether you're shielding your garden from prying eyes or creating a green backdrop, this shrub does the job effectively.
- Low Maintenance: Skip Cherry Laurel is a low-maintenance plant that thrives in various soil types and climate conditions. Once established, it requires minimal pruning and watering, making it an excellent choice for busy gardeners.
- Drought Tolerance: This shrub exhibits remarkable drought tolerance once it's well-rooted. It can withstand dry spells, making it suitable for regions with occasional water restrictions.
- Deer Resistance: Skip Cherry Laurel is deer-resistant, making it a valuable addition if you're dealing with deer browsing in your area.
Using Skip Cherry Laurel in the Landscape
- Hedge or Screen: Skip Cherry Laurel excels as a hedge or privacy screen. When planted closely together, its dense growth forms a robust barrier that provides seclusion and enhances the aesthetics of your garden.
- Foundation Planting: Use Skip Cherry Laurel as a foundation planting around your home. Its evergreen foliage softens the lines of buildings and adds curb appeal.
- Accent Plant: You can also incorporate Skip Cherry Laurel as an accent plant within your landscape design. Its vibrant green leaves contrast beautifully with other shrubs and perennials.
- Container Planting: While this shrub is often planted directly in the ground, it can also thrive in large containers, adding versatility to your landscape design.
Skip Cherry Laurel is a versatile and attractive shrub with various benefits for your landscape. Whether you need year-round privacy, a low-maintenance plant, or a deer-resistant option, this evergreen shrub has you covered. Consider adding Skip Cherry Laurel to your garden for both its practicality and aesthetic appeal.
2. Golden Euonymus
When it comes to adding a touch of brightness and versatility to your landscape, look no further than the Golden Euonymus. This evergreen shrub, prized for its striking variegated foliage, is a true gem in the world of landscaping. Let's explore the benefits and various uses of Golden Euonymus in the landscape.
Benefits of Golden Euonymus
- Year-Round Color: One of the standout features of Golden Euonymus is its evergreen leaves. The leaves are typically bright green with bold yellow margins, creating a stunning display of color that lasts throughout the year. This means you'll enjoy a vibrant landscape, even in the depths of winter.
- Low Maintenance: Golden Euonymus is known for its adaptability and ease of care. It thrives in a variety of soil types and can tolerate different light conditions, making it suitable for a wide range of landscapes. This low-maintenance shrub doesn't require extensive pruning or fuss, making it an excellent choice for busy gardeners.
- Versatility: Whether you're looking to create a formal hedge, add a pop of color to your foundation plantings, or brighten up a shaded area, Golden Euonymus can do it all. Its compact growth habit and lush foliage make it an ideal choice for various landscaping applications.
Using Golden Euonymus in the Landscape
- Foundation Planting: Golden Euonymus is often used to enhance the look of homes by planting it near the foundation. Its vibrant foliage provides an attractive contrast against the neutral tones of most house exteriors.
- Hedges and Borders: Golden Euonymus is an excellent candidate for creating hedges and borders due to its dense growth and striking colors. It can be pruned to maintain a specific shape and height, adding structure and definition to your landscape.
- Accent Plant: Use Golden Euonymus as an accent plant to draw attention to a particular area of your garden. Placing it near a garden focal point or among darker foliage plants can create a visually pleasing contrast.
- Container Gardening: If you have limited space or want to brighten up your patio or balcony, consider growing Golden Euonymus in containers. Its compact size and colorful leaves make it a perfect choice for container gardening.
- Shaded Areas: While Golden Euonymus can tolerate some shade, it truly shines in partially shaded areas, adding a burst of color to spots that might otherwise lack interest.
Golden Euonymus is a versatile and visually stunning shrub that offers year-round beauty with minimal maintenance. Whether you're aiming to create a formal landscape or want to add a touch of elegance to your garden, this golden-hued gem will undoubtedly become a shining star in your outdoor space.
3. Wintergreen Boxwood
When it comes to classic elegance and timeless beauty in the world of landscaping, few plants can match the Wintergreen Boxwood (Buxus microphylla var. japonica 'Wintergreen'). This evergreen shrub, known for its compact growth and glossy green leaves, is a staple in gardens across the country.
Benefits of Wintergreen Boxwood
- Year-Round Interest: The most significant advantage of Wintergreen Boxwood is its ability to maintain its rich green foliage throughout the year. Even in the harshest winters, this evergreen shrub retains its lush appearance, providing structure and visual appeal to your landscape every season.
- Low Maintenance: Wintergreen Boxwood is a gardener's dream when it comes to care. It requires minimal maintenance, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. You can enjoy a neat and tidy appearance year-round with only occasional pruning to maintain its shape.
- Versatile Design Element: This boxwood variety boasts a dense, rounded growth habit, making it incredibly versatile in landscape design. It can be used in various ways, from creating formal hedges to edging walkways or accenting garden beds.
Using Wintergreen Boxwood in the Landscape
- Formal Hedges: Wintergreen Boxwood is renowned for its suitability in creating formal hedges. Its dense foliage and natural growth habit make it easy to shape and maintain, resulting in elegant, well-defined garden borders.
- Foundation Plantings: Plant Wintergreen Boxwood along your home's foundation to provide a classic, polished appearance. Its glossy leaves complement the architecture of most houses and add a touch of timeless beauty.
4. Blue Star Juniper
Adding a touch of natural elegance to your landscape is easy with the Blue Star Juniper. Juniperus squamata Blue Star shines as a brilliant choice. This petite evergreen shrub, known for its striking blue-green foliage, is a versatile gem that offers numerous benefits and uses in landscaping. Let's explore why the Blue Star Juniper deserves a special place in your outdoor haven.
Benefits of Blue Star Juniper
- Year-Round Beauty: One of the most significant advantages of the Blue Star Juniper is its evergreen nature. Its charming blue foliage remains vibrant and appealing throughout the entire year. Even in the depths of winter, it provides a beautiful contrast to the snowy landscape.
- Low Maintenance: If you're seeking a plant that requires minimal care, this juniper is a top contender. Blue Star Juniper is drought-tolerant and resistant to many common pests and diseases. Its compact, slow-growing nature means you won't spend countless hours pruning and shaping it.
- Versatile Design Element: The Blue Star Juniper's rounded, mounding growth habit makes it incredibly versatile in landscape design. It can serve as a focal point, ground cover, or border plant, offering endless possibilities for creative landscaping.
Using Blue Star Juniper in the Landscape
- Ground Cover: Blue Star Juniper is an excellent choice for ground cover in your garden. Plant it on slopes, along pathways, or in rock gardens to prevent soil erosion and add a captivating blue carpet to your landscape.
- Accent Plant: The striking blue-green color of this juniper makes it a standout accent plant. Use it as a focal point in your garden, where its unique hue can draw attention and provide a refreshing contrast to surrounding plants.
- Border Plant: Create elegant borders and edging with Blue Star Juniper. Its compact size and neat growth make it ideal for defining garden beds and pathways.
- Container Gardening: Bring the beauty of the Blue Star Juniper to your patio or balcony by planting it in containers. Its small size allows it to thrive in pots, providing a touch of evergreen charm to your outdoor living spaces.
- Rock Gardens: This juniper's natural appearance complements rock gardens beautifully. Nestle it among boulders and other stone elements to create a stunning alpine landscape.
- Drought-Tolerant Landscapes: In regions with limited water resources, Blue Star Juniper shines as a drought-tolerant addition to xeriscapes. Its ability to thrive with minimal irrigation makes it an eco-friendly choice.
Blue Star Juniper is a true gem in the world of landscaping. Its year-round beauty, adaptability, and low-maintenance nature make it a valuable addition to gardens of all sizes and styles. Whether you're aiming for a vibrant ground cover or an eye-catching focal point, this juniper's blue-green brilliance will grace your landscape with elegance and charm.
- Flowering Trees
- Garden Design
- How To
- Interior Design
- Lawn Care