Espoma Organic Perlite for Sale Online
Espoma Perlite is ideally used for seed starting or blending your custom potting mix. Perlite is a very light substance, so it helps loosen heavy soils and prevents compaction to improve drainage.
For Potting Soil: To improve heavy soil, mix one-part soil to one part Perlite. To blend your own potting media, mix two parts, Peat Moss, with one part compost, and one part Perlite.
For Seed Starting:
- Fill a shallow container with Pete Moss, or blend of 80% Peat and 20% Perlite.
- Peat pots or special seed starting trays with drainage holes make transplanting easier.
- Wet the mix and allow it to drain.
- Plant seeds according to package directions. Please container and warm, bright location (avoid direct sunlight).
- Keep soil moist by misting with a spray bottle.
- When the plant develops its first leaves, transplant it into a larger container or outdoors in a prepared bed. Note: Dig seedlings out of their mix and handle with care to avoid damaging the fragile stem in the root system.
For Root Cuttings:
- Fill a flat or another clean container with Peat Moss, or a blend of 80% Peat and 20% Perlite, and wet the mix.
- Make a hole with a pencil, gently insert the cutting and pat the soil to close the hole.
- Keep soil moist and out of direct sunlight until roots are developed and the plant can be transplanted.
For Bulb Storage: Pour dry Perlite over and around the bulb. Do not water or compact.