Simple Steps to Create a Memorial Garden
Memorial Day is the traditional start of gardening.
Follow these steps to honor loved ones in your garden space.
While Memorial Day marks the official start of gardening season, it’s also a time to honor and reflect on the memories with our fallen loved ones. Gardens are a perfect space to create solitude and plant in memory of those we cherish. Whether your outdoor garden is big or small, creating a memory garden is simple and easy.
Before dusting off your shovel, choose a spot and assess the lighting and overall garden landscape. Providing your plant with the best tools to thrive is important, and choosing nutrient rich soil is key. If you’re planting in a small space, choose an above-ground planter and use well-draining soil. You can place these on your porch, patio, deck, or balcony. Don’t feel pressured to plant multiple plants - a single tree or specimen plant will do. It’s the thought that counts!
Placing objects that represent your loved one is a great way to elevate your memorial garden. Here are a few ideas to get you brainstorming.
- Choose a sculpture such as angels or birds, including eagles for veterans
- Add a stepping-stone or plaque with a favorite quote or scripture
- Place a chair or bench in your memorial space to meditate, reflect, or rest
- Incorporate mineral crystals that encourage mindfulness
- Plant in a heart shape or flower design
Whatever you choose to create, make it meaningful and take your time. Happy Memorial Day!