Free Shipping Exclusions
Garden Goods Direct is proud to be the very first online Garden Center in the state of Maryland to be granted a Phytosanitary Shipping Agreement with category 1 and 2 States.
The following states have set forth certain requirements which must be met for plant material to be shipped into the state.
Phytosanitary rules govern a nursery’s ability to ship plants into these states. The following states have declared themselves to be Phytosanitary which in laymen’s terms mean that "all material plant material entering the state must be certified free from pests and disease" including, Japanese Beetles, Burrowing and Reniform Nematodes, Imported Fire Ants and Lethal Yellowing of Palms. Our nursery is periodically inspected by the Maryland Department of Agriculture for cleanliness and compliance with the requirements.
The following states have issued requirements and regulations regarding plant material:
- Washington State
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
California has especially stringent policies and requires extra care and administration on our part.
Your shipment of plant material will be accompanied by a certificate issued by our state which will be inspected at the point of entry into your state. This will allow the expedited movement of your shipment through the inspection point for your state. The plant material will not be subject to quarantines which in the past has delayed or in some cases had the plant material rejected and destroyed.
Due to the added costs of inspections and the issuance of Phytosanitary Certificates it is necessary for us to charge a fee for shipments to the above states that is paid to our Dept. of Ag. Inspectors for each shipment inspected.
Each state has special regulations regarding plants that cannot be shipped into the state. In most cases these are mostly agricultural and food crops. A list of the states and any special requirements can be viewed below:
- Alabama: No restricted Plant Material.
- Arizona: Fruit Trees, Citrus Plants, Dracaena, Ficus, Sago Palms.
- Arkansas: No Restricted Plant Material.
- California: All Fruit and Nut Producing Plants, All Outdoor Plants.
- Colorado: No restricted Plant Material.
- Idaho: Currently Not Shipping Plant Material to this State.
- Kansas: No restricted Plant Material.
- Mississippi: No restricted Plant Material.
- Montana: Currently Not Shipping Plant Material to this State.
- Nevada: No restricted Plant Material.
- New Mexico: Nut Trees.
- Oklahoma: No restricted Plant Material.
- Oregon: Apple Trees, Blueberry Plants, Nut Trees, Elm Trees, Oak Trees, Hops Plants, Peach Trees, Plum Trees.
- South Dakota: No restricted Plant Material.
- Texas: Citrus Plants, Fishtail Palm, Coconut Palm, Pygmy Date Palm, Areca Palm, Lady Palm.
- Utah: No restricted Plant Material.
- Washington State: Apple Trees, Barberry, Mahonia, Blueberry Plants, Nut Trees, Hops Plants, Peach Trees.
So what does all this mean to you, our customer?
This means that you can rest assured that you are purchasing your plants from a certified nursery that is legally allowed to ship plants into your state. This should really give you peace of mind that your plants have been inspected and have been deemed healthy and pest and disease free. This has added many extra steps to everything we do to get your plants from our farm to your home. To us it’s worth it.
You can review your states individual requirements for this process by visiting the National Plant Boards.
At Garden Goods Direct we believe in these laws and everything they stand for. Under no circumstances will we break these rules. We have worked very hard to obtain this certification and will not jeopardize this.
Note: These regulations are subject to change at the discretion of the state in question. We also reserve the right to limit plants we ship to specific states for a variety of reasons. If your state is not currently listed on the above list any plants can be shipped at this time.