Jonathan Green Black Beauty Ultra Grass Seed
Black Beauty Ultra Jonathan Green's most drought tolerant blend of grass seed. It grows a lush dark-green lawn in full sun to partial shade.
As Low As: $13.95
|1 LB Bag||$13.95|
|3 LB BAG||$32.95|
|7 LB Bag||$82.95|
|25 LB BAG||$207.95|
GreenView Grass Seed Accelerator
18 LB Bag (380 sq. ft.)
Jonathan Green Black Beauty Ultra Grass Seed for Sale Online
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Ultra Grass Seed mixture combines our most elite Black Beauty® tall fescue seed varieties with our best Kentucky bluegrass to fill in bare spots quickly and invigorate worn-out lawns. Black Beauty® Ultra also contains premium perennial ryegrass for fast germination and wear tolerance in lawns that experience heavy traffic. The Black Beauty® Ultra seed grows naturally dark-green turf and is most similar to the Black Beauty® seed mixtures that sod growers purchase from us to grow high-quality sod within one year. This seed germinates in 7 – 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake - Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than ¼ of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.