Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Lawn Repair Grass Seed for Sale Online
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Lawn Repair for Sun & Shade is your all-in-one bare spot patching solution. This mixture repairs stubborn bare spots quickly and seamlessly blends into existing lawns.
This mix contains 20% more grass seed and covers more bare spots than any other lawn patching mixture on the market. The seed establishment mulch in this product keeps the seedbed moist which ensures complete grass seed germination. The mulch will degrade into the soil within one month. The grass seed in Black Beauty® Lawn Repair germinates in 10-14 days.
How Do I apply Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Lawn Repair for Sun and Shade?
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake - Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. The optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one-fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
How much area will this grass seed cover?
- 4.5 lb Bag
- Covers up to 100 sq. ft.
- 13.75 lb Bag
- Covers up to 300 sq. ft.