Vitality Shade Mate Grass Seed
Purchase Recommended Add-ons
Vitality Shade Mate Grass Seed is a Turf-Type tall fescue grass seed blend that offers proven performance against drought, heat, diseases and pests. If you need tough, durable turf for variable conditions, rely on Turf-Type tall fescue grass seed from Vitality.
Soil Test: Soil test results can provide important information regarding the soil condition, including pH, phosphorus and potassium. Additional tests for micronutrient levels, organic matter and soluble salts may also be needed. Contact your local extension service for locations of soil testing facility.
Fertility: Follow soil test recommendations and incorporate amendments through cultivation at the root zone prior to final seedbed preparation.
Weed Control: Check herbicide labels for directions and restrictions to determine if a waiting period is needed before or after the seed is sown. Typically 30 days are required between herbicide applications and seeding.
Seedbed: Till or loosen with a rake the top layer of the soil to a fine soil particle size. Plant seeds to a firm seedbed, and ensure good seed-to-soil contact.
SEEDING INSTRUCTIONS & TIPS
For uniform coverage, divide Vitality Shade Mate Grass Seed into two equal parts, spreading one half in a north-south pass and the other in an east-west pass. Applying the proper amount of seed is key. Too little seed results in a thin stand and increased competition from weeds. Too much seed causes over-crowding and increased competition for nutrients and water.
- Over-seeding: A properly calibrated commercial drill/slice seeder provides the best results. Many professional seeder options are available that drill/slice the soil, place the seed and firm the row in one pass, ensuring good seed-to-soil contact. Core aeration followed by broadcast seeding is popular with many turf managers. The more cores per square foot, the more opportunities for seed-to-soil contact.
- New Seed Establishment: Till and prepare the seedbed with adequate drainage that is free of low spots. Properly adjusted commercial drill seeders and slice seeders will produce the best results. Seed may be broadcast over the prepared seedbed and followed by a cultipacker, roller or drag to ensure good seed-to-soil contact.
- Dark green color
- Medium-coarse texture
- Germinates in 10 to 14 days with proper moisture
- Forms a dense turf in 8 to 10 weeks
- 100% Turf-TypeTall Fescue
LIGHT/SOIL REQUIREMENTS of Vitality Shade Mate Grass
- Seed Grows equally well in sun or shade
- Performs well on many soil types
SEEDING RATE for Vitality Shade Mate Grass Seed
- Seed at 8-10 1bs. per 1,000 sq. ft.
- Overseed at 4-5 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.